Menu

Please look over my curriculum and tell me if it's okay

Slipper

Before I actually hit the order button on these items, would you all please look it over and tell me if I have it right, wrong or should look further?

DD10 will be in 5th grade. She is classified gifted but has been in a poor district up until withdrawing her recently. I want to back up and review things, but she catches on very quickly. DD7 will be in 2nd grade.

They both enjoy doing work independently.

DD10:

Math - Singapore

Science - Noeo Biology 2

History - SOTW

Art - private lessons

Music - private lessons and Stories of great composers

Bible - Positive Action

Reading/English - MCT Level 1, Writing Strands, R&S Spelling

DD7:

Math - Singapore

Science - Noeo Chemistry 1

History - SOTW

Art - Private lessons, Meet the Masters, additional studies in local folk art

Music - Stories of Great Composers

Bible - Positive Action

Reading/English - MCT Level 1, Writing Strands, ETC, R&S Spelling

My biggest question is on MCT since I have never seen the program before. I'm hoping to use the same level for both girls but if my older dd moves rapidly through it, I can order the next level.

I appreciate any input.

Editing my post as we go! :)

Edited by Slipper

MCT would be my only concern as well. In this thread several posters agreed that it isn't a full language arts program. You would definitely need to add writing for your 5th grader and spelling for your 2nd grader. Maybe someone who's more familiar with MCT can help you out with what else you'll need.

Singapore, SOTW and Noeo have been hits here. :)

MCT would be my only concern as well. In this thread several posters agreed that it isn't a full language arts program. You would definitely need to add writing for your 5th grader and spelling for your 2nd grader. Maybe someone who's more familiar with MCT can help you out with what else you'll need.

Singapore, SOTW and Noeo have been hits here. :)

I have Writing Strands here, would that work to add in?

I had decided that if I needed spelling, then I would probably use Rod & Staff.

I have Writing Strands here, would that work to add in?

I had decided that if I needed spelling, then I would probably use Rod & Staff.

Oh well then yes Writing Strands and some sort of spelling and/or handwriting and it would flesh out the lang arts. Maybe some continuing phonics instruction for your 7 year old?

My only thoughts: spelling? writing? handwriting? reading/literature? vocabulary?

Oh dear, is reading/literature NOT in MCT? I have been going nuts trying to find a good reading program for both girls.

Youngest DD hasn't finished ETC. I'll add in those workbooks she didn't finish last year and update my original post.

You don't have to have a â€reading programâ€, but you might want to start a bit of lit analysis with your 5th grader (SWB has good instructions in WTM). I'd just have the 2nd grader read good books and casually discuss them with you.