Menu

Writing/grammar for logic stage

OK, so I have a DD going into 5th grade and another DD going into 7th grade. My older DD has done the Hake Grammar, which I liked because it was pretty meaty and covered lots in each lesson. And I liked that each lesson would incorporate previous concepts into the next lessons. Just like Saxon Math, the repetition helped with retention. The Hake Grammar also includes writing. Here's where I struggle though. I was thinking of a separate writing program for each and then have them do the Hake Grammar. So here's what that would look like.....

Hake Grammar 5 AND Writing with Ease 4 (for my 5th grader)

And

Hake Grammar 6 AND Writing with Skill I (for my 7th grader)

Just to be clear, we got a little behind this past year, which is why my 5th grader will do Writing with Ease 4, and my 7th grader will do Hake Grammar 6. We like to stick with a secular curriculum so any thoughts or suggestions on strong Grammar programs that might not double up on the writing assignments (assuming I go ahead with the above mentioned writing programs), would be appreciated. Or, I guess I could just omit the writing portion of the Hake program and go with the other writing programs. Maybe I just solved my dilemma but I'm still curious if anyone already uses these? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thank you so much for your thoughts. It gives me that boost of confidence to go ahead and implement that plan. I just love this forum! It is extremely helpful! The only thing I struggle with is learning all the abbreviations that are typed in for the various curricula. There's a LOT out there. :-)