Menu

Nature Drawing and Journaling

ABQmom

I had not heard of of it, but it looks nice. I did a brief search and found it at CBD which has sample pages. http://www.christianbook.com/nature-drawing-journaling-lessons-through-natures/barry-stebbing/9780971787452/pd/635635

I also found a review of it from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. http://thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/5202.php

HTH

I've not seen the book, but we just ordered and received the DVD series. We alos ordered his Beginning Drawing DVDs. My kids are REALLY enjoying them. The Nature Journaling DVDs are more advanced drawing skills, and I plan to have my kids watch the Beginning Drawing DVDs first.

I am not an artsy type, and I have ZERO drawing skills. So, I can really appreciate Barry Stebbing's skill as an instructor. My kids are 11,9, 7 and 6 and they all really are enjoying these.

I have the DVDs, and I agree with Shawna that it contains more advanced drawing. My sons already completed the Beginning Drawing series in their co-op two years ago, and I was pleased with the results. I have only previewed various segments of the DVDs, but from what I have seen it looks good. I like how he shows the viewer how to combine various colors to make colors similar to those found in nature. There are six, hour-long segments - they cover trees, flowers, landscapes, the four seasons, insects, birds, treasures in nature, journaling for all of these areas, and I may have missed some of the other topics - but for our purposes (nature study using The Handbook of Nature Study for co-op), we're only going to have the students watch the drawing portions for the color combinations (to make notes for future reference) and the drawing (to learn how to replicate shapes found in nature) - we're not going to watch the journaling segments, but I may have my boys watch them on our own time.