Menu

Topic Prep for WWS

I vaguely recall a thread that discussed topic preparation for WWS. I have searched for the thread...but I give up :(

If you provide or assign background material for the WWS assignments, how do you do it? I think that my son would benefit from the readings more if he were prepped a bit with the relevant history or science topic. But we will be taking a very slow pace through WWS, and I am cautious about adding even MORE to the program.

Edited by Penguin

I vaguely recall a thread that discussed topic preparation for WWS. I have searched for the thread...but I give up :(

If you provide or assign background material for the WWS assignments, how do you do it? I think that my son would benefit from the readings more if he were prepped a bit with the relevant history or science topic. But we will be taking a very slow pace through WWS, and I am cautious about adding even MORE to the program.

I started this thread a few weeks ago, which may be the one you are remembering --

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388275

But it doesn't have many posts in it yet. I'm hoping it will grow more over the summer.

I have found some short videos to be most helpful. We don't really need to be doing "research" -- that comes later in the program, and the relevant facts are all laid out in WWS already. What I find my son needs most is to spark his interest more than the dry list of facts can achieve. A video seems to do the trick best.

I have found them either by searching here (search for Ivan the Terrible, for example, and you'll probably find some links to videos) or directly on youtube. There really is quite a wealth of resources available.

For us the time spent has been quite worth it. We always split the paper writing assignment into two days -- one for prep and one for writing. On the prep day, we might spend 15-30 minutes watching videos and talking about the topic, and finally making decisions about what main events and details to include in the paper.