Menu

keeping WWM simple w/christian twist?

Mammy5

I like the simplicity of WTM and feel lead to keep it simple but I would like to add a book that will connect the history more with the bible. I am considering using EC history/science/music/geography, pretty much the whole curriculum or TOG. The only concerns I have it that wouldn't be keeping it simple with time to reflect and then at the end of the week go to the library and get more on what they were interested in. I have 4 children that would be homeschooling together ages 5,6,7 and 8. I would like to hear some compare and contrast on the similarities and differences of these programs to WTM.

The other thought I have is to use WWM as is and just make sure I teach them bible stories and read them the bible without worrying to much about making those connections to history in the grammer stage but wait until the middle grades? Any thoughts?

Edited by Mammy5

When you said EC do you mean MFW ECC? If that is what you are talking about the last day of the week (Friday) is scheduled very light, so light that I am debating making our school 4 day a week and keeping the last day for library/piano/field trips. Another option for you may be Mystery of History, or you could get the Veritas Press Bible and History Timeline Cards and that will give your children a chronoligical overview of history and Bible that would tie in with WTM.

We love Tapestry of Grace, especially for Dialectic and up, and have used it for 3 years. However, in your situation with so many littles, you might want to wait on Tapestry until your oldest is 5th or 6th grade if you want to keep things simple. Having said that, Tapestry has a lot to offer at all ages. It is wonderful, but it can be overwhelming if you are not comfortable picking and choosing from all the options. By all means look at Tapestry when they are older, if you decide now is not the right time. But it might be the right time:)

When you say EC, do you mean Easy Classical? I have used it a little too and it definitely takes less time in the history side of things than Tapestry. It also takes all the planning work out of it and lays it all out for you day by day. I would say, it is closer to the WTM approach in simplicity and also is nice because it does incorporate SOTW, but all the books are chosen for you. I also love the memory work with the Veritas Cards. Having done Tapestry before EC, my kiddos really missed the depth of their Tapestry studies and we returned to Tapestry before a semester had gone by.

So many good choices...praying God give you wisdom!