Menu

Dumb question......are the oven coils supposed to glow red when

My in-the-wall oven did something similar on Superbowl Sunday. I was pre-heating it and the coils turned bright bright red. The oven overheated, flashed and beeped a code at me and then locked itself shut. Which it's only suppose to do during the self cleaning cycle. I could not turn it off from the keypad and the temp. was still climbing. Thankfully dh was home. He just happens to be much smarter than I am. He had the foresight to run downstairs to the circuit breaker to switch the oven breaker off. Now it was off but locked shut.:glare:

The oven was only 2 yrs old and no longer under warranty. :glare:After much research it was discovered that the electronic board ($$$) went bad.A common problem for the Whirpools from what we understood. It would have been a $400 repair with an appliance repair company. Dh, who is a master HVAC technician, was able to find the part through one of his supplier's and used his company discount. He was able to replace it himself for a mere $76 and an hour of his time.

I hope that's not what's wrong with yours on this 4th of July. :sad: