Menu

Odd Math Descriptions Question

Okey Dokie.

I have more math curricula than I can shake a stick at. 5th grade forward has been one long slog of fixing the psychological and educational damage inflicted from 4th grade public school.

All of the other stuff? Great! But it wasn't until THIS year that the math came together (go figure - I went back and figured out what program the Belgians were using with him in 2nd grade).

Math has all kind of "run together" in this house. All of the Algebra (pre, one, two) has been a combination of Systematic Mathematics, Hey Math (Singapore Version), and an obscure program by 3 retired math professors. The Geometry also had Math-U-See +honors supplement.

Most recently, there has been a Teaching Company "History of Math" course and another on "Precalculus and Trig" (in process) because we're doing the Hey Math, the obscure Precalc (that has trig in it), and also a book called "Precalculus in a Nutshell" (great book, BTW).

So here is my question: for my course description page on math (which is only going to Kolbe, where his coursework is being transferred so I don't have to deal with the German university system's YOU NO HOMESCHOOL), do ya'll think it would work if I listed out the course titles, the materials used, the method of work [quizzes, tests, etc] and his grade?

I mean, it's ALGEBRA. "In this course, Algebra 1, the student will learn Algebra." I don't see myself writing out 3-4 different tables of contents (since we all know every publisher teaches something different).

What do you guys think?

a

Edited by asta

You might want to be a bit more specific...like a course description.

Solving linear equations. Solving quadratic equations by factoring. Solving rational equations. Exponential rules. Etc.

Broad categories, but so it's clear what topics were covered.

I second Dana. Not all courses are created equal.

Some algebra 1 programs stop after systems of linear equations. Some cover quadratics, graphing of quadratics, even more advanced material. Some precalculus courses include three dimensional matrices and determinants and the cross product- others barely touch on vectors and matrices.

Your course description should list the major topics.