Menu

Critical Thinking Company Mathematical Reasoning

HiddenJewel

I am trying to determine what level of Mathematical Reasoning to purchase for my kindergarten son. He is comfortable with add/subtract to 10 with manipulatives but I am concerned that Level A will be over his head and that I should go ahead and start him with Beginnings Level 2. Thoughts from anyone who has used the lower levels?

IMO, he would blast through Beginning 2 in no time at all, and with the MR books being so expensive, I would skip it.

Have you looked at the samples on their web site? From the information you have given, and looking at the sample for level A (grade K), I think that would be a better fit.

I have Beginning 2 (age 4) and level B (Grade 1), in case you have any specific questions. I don't have level A, but I think their samples are pretty representative of what you will see in the books.

Examples of problems in level B:

Adding coins

Using number lines to add (2 + 7 = ), (10 + 5 = )

Circle all the sets with a square and a triangle

Fill in the missing numerals to complete the pattern (5, 10, __, 20,__, __)

Draw and color the objects that would continue the pattern

Count the toys on each shelf, then write the (12 -2 = ), (10 - 2 ), (11-6)

Which is heavier, your arm or your foot?

Circle the season when leaves on trees turn colors

To contrast, examples of problems in Beginning 2:

Point to the picture that has the most dogs beside (in front of, in back of) the dog house.

Check the groups of 9.

Point to the red square and say the numeral below it.

Dot-to-dot numbers 1-11

Put an X over the one that doesn't belong (three triangles, one square)

Level A would obviously be in between these two.

Hope this helps! :001_smile:

That helps a lot. Thank you! I have looked at the samples quite a bit but was still having trouble. I wish they posted a table of contents. Rainbow Resource shows topics covered but it is in chart form by topic and not by lesson. I guess I could recreate my own from that.

Because of the expense I think I will try Book A. We can always fill in with manipulatives if needed. Plus we have a couple more months of development so it might be a perfect fit by August.

That helps a lot. Thank you! I have looked at the samples quite a bit but was still having trouble. I wish they posted a table of contents. Rainbow Resource shows topics covered but it is in chart form by topic and not by lesson. I guess I could recreate my own from that.

Because of the expense I think I will try Book A. We can always fill in with manipulatives if needed. Plus we have a couple more months of development so it might be a perfect fit by August.

You are welcome!

I understand what you mean about the samples. Sometimes I flip back and forth between the levels, think I have it clear in my mind, only to discover I'm still unsure. It is a lot clearer when you can flip through the books.

The books have a good resale value, in case you want to sell your level A to buy the level B. We sit on the couch and do our lessons orally. We can cover a lot more material in a short amount of time this way. I use cheaper books for practice circling objects, marking out objects, drawing the next object in the pattern, etc. (like BrainQuest books).