Menu

Trying to decide if I really NEED PAL reading and writing.

So, my curriculum list for next year is big and costly. Having a highschooler is expensive. :glare: I'm trying to cut out things I want and only purchase those things I need.

I had considered getting PAL Reading and Writing for ds, but am thinking that I really don't need it. I have Phonics Pathways (about 1/4 of the way through)and ETC (toward the end of Book 1)in addition to several phonics manipulatives and games. I also have WWE 1, although I'm not sure he's ready for it. He knows how to form all of his letters but isn't fluent in writing them yet.

I just don't know enough about PAL in order to determine if it would be a huge benefit to spend the money on it...would it be more effective than using what we have?

I'd like to get more detail about the reading and writing programs and also any benefits or downsides that you've experienced.

Thanks!

I would say if you have already started Phonics Pathways that you would probably be best to continue with it (even as much as I love PAL!). I originally purchases PAL for my dd6 even though she was already making her way through AlphaPhonics. Most of PAL reading is way too easy for her (although it does provide some good review for phonograms), and that is how ds3 got to use it instead! He loves it, but I almost think the PAL reading is best for younger children, even though they suggest it is K-2. I still have my daughter play the games with him, and that helps them both. As far as the writing, if you are going to be moving into IEW when your son is older I think it is a great and gentle introduction. Don't feel tied to AAS either. We use it because it works for my kids and they enjoy it, but all they do in the PAL writing plans is say "continue with All About Spelling". Really you could use any spelling you want. But I really do like the writing part for ds8 (who never really had any formal writing instruction) and dd6. They are working on story summaries and who/which clauses right now. The one thing I do have to say about PAL is that I never hear a complaint when I say it is time to do their work:)

Aime,

You need to come over and check out my copy! We did just a couple weeks before breaking for summer, so I don't have a lot of thoughts on it just yet. Do you need it? I don't know. Phonics Pathways is good! PAL gives you more hand holding with handwriting. There are little mnemonic devices to help them remember how to write the letters, including a helpful way of distinguishing b's and d's and plenty of practice. It uses different poems to cover topics like rhyming, homophones, phonograms, etc...It schedules in spelling (but you'd need AAS 1 at some point). If you plan to use IEW, it seems to transition smoothly to SWI-A (though it sounds like you're leaning more toward WWE). I think it starts off a bit slow, especially if you've gotten very far into PP. Gran likes, but isn't crazy over, the farm stickers. I think it's very clever, though!! If you have any specific questions, let me know. It seems extremely thorough and very well thought out. But, again, we haven't gotten very far into it. :)

It does take more time, but the lessons can easily be broken down into different sessions or done over two days.

Really, you are welcome to come see it, or pm me and maybe we can meet somewhere. :)

Shannon

I would say if you have already started Phonics Pathways that you would probably be best to continue with it (even as much as I love PAL!). I originally purchases PAL for my dd6 even though she was already making her way through AlphaPhonics. Most of PAL reading is way too easy for her (although it does provide some good review for phonograms),

:iagree:

Yes, I agree with this. It is easy for Gran right now, but I appreciate the phonograms review. But, there's more to PAL than just reading and so I feel like he's still learning...

We are working through ElizabethB's phonics videos this summer, so I'm really at a loss as to how PAL will fit when we start up again this fall. We just may move quickly through the lessons. We'll see...