Menu

Jump In! writing curriculum questions

1. How do you schedule this in one year?

We skipped the free writing from prompts section; we thought they were repetitive, lame, and not enough for choice. Instead, I started DS (who was 8th grade that year) on very brief (one 5-sentence paragraph) timed essays from past SAT prompts once a week, to start working towards eventually being able to do a 5 paragraph essay for the SAT in high school.

How many "skills" per week?

As I recall, there are 14 units to the book; we just kept moving along at whatever pace was appropriate for that unit for DS. Also, we skipped the poetry writing (last unit). When we came to the end-of-unit longer writing assignments, we spent 1 week, allowing a day for each step of the writing process (brainstorming/key word outline; writing from the outline; completing the writing; revising; proofing/final copy).

2. Do you write in your workbook, or use it as a student guide to write/type on separate sheets of paper?

Typed/printed out; why? Too frustrating to get the perfect-bound book spine to lay flat; I hate having DC write in a book when I plan to resell it; and DS has LDs with handwriting and does much better with typing.

BEST of luck in determining how to schedule the program to best work for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

Ok we will do notebook paper and typed reports then.

1 skill per day and a week for typed reports and papers. I'll just read through the student book and fill out my lesson plans as I go through.

I received my huge Rainbow order and many programs aren't schedule out in tidy 36 week schedules. How dare they! :tongue_smilie: