Menu

If we ever make it to the end of OPG what reading level would my ds be at?

We are slowly making our way through OGP. We will be starting on lesson 89 today and I was just wondering if we ever make it through the whole book what reading level would my ds be at? He is 7 now and although he is making progress it is very slow. I sometime just want to give up and do whole langauge with him but I know that would open a whole other can of worms. I just keep telling myself one day will come when he doesn't have to sound out every single word he comes too.!

The back cover says that OPGTR teaches beginning vowel sounds through words on a 4th-grade level. However, I think it depends on the reading strength of each child in order to determine what reading level they are at. I've used the 4th grade level words as a guideline to how fast I should progress through OPGTR. In the beginning, I didn't think OPGTR was working very well because it has taken my youngest son a fair amount of time to move through this book. I soon realized that he is only going to be in the 1st grade next year, so it's reasonable to expect a slower progress since the book ends with 4th grade level words. I'm sure some children can move more quickly though. We will take at least 2 years (or longer) to go through all 231 lessons.