Menu

When to introduce a 3rd language?

Hi All,

My dd is 9 and already understands, reads some, and speaks Spanish as well as English. My question is when should I introduce French? She has heard French and I sing to her in French, but I want to start formal instruction. Any ideas if I could do that now, or would I just confuse her?

Whenever you want :) I don't think you need to wait...although be prepared for sentences to be a total mix of Spanish and French for a while.

:iagree: DD is bilingual and I have introduced a 3rd language to her in the past month. She does find it slow to switch between languages right now, and there is a mix of words, but from experience (I am multi-lingual) I know that it will sort itself out slowly.

I don't think there's any harm in starting French if her Spanish is solid. When you start to teach her to read in French, make sure she only reads out loud and that you listen to correct her pronunciation. Many Spanish-speakers who learn French mostly from reading seem to have trouble remembering to pronounce certain similar words (se, le, me, te, etc.) the French way.

My boys speak English and French, and we'll be starting Spanish whenever I get around to it. :)