Menu

Kathryn Stout?

I've only used the Natural Speller, but I really like it. Words are broken into grade levels and families and she gives activity suggestions for each level. Having reviewed many spelling curriculum, I like NS best because it's simple, direct, and not busywork.

I've considered getting her other books based on how much I like the Natural Speller.

I loved Natural Speller, too. We haven't used it for awhile because, well, my girls became natural spellers. But I definitely plan to use it when dd3 is ready.

I actually have the whole set of her books, bought recently from a kind mom on this board, and I wish I'd had them earlier. I think the history one would have been particularly useful for me - if gives guidelines for how to study any time period/civilization from a research standpoints. Sort of like TRISMS but vastly cheaper. I do plan to use it with dd3, and will possibly use some of it when dd2 is done with her HO Modern.

Love them.

We used the math and spelling. I have on hand the Science and History and have looked at it often for ideas. If you do not use a curriculum but do your own thing it will let you know what skills need to be taught. The science and history books are pretty much lists of topics/skills you need to cover. The math has lists by grade level but also teaching ideas in case you are not sure how to teach a math skill. The spelling gives lists but also ideas on what to do with those lists. For the money, they are great to have on hand. I bought all of mine from Ebay or PBS for just a few dollars each.