Menu

Journaling...what does it look like?

We are into the summer season and we are still trying to do some workbook review but my biggest goal is to have my dc read lots of books since it's easy and enjoyable. I want her to not only read but be reading for a purpose and exploring what she thinks and feels about the books. So I would like to have her keep a journal. I wonder what are thoughts on what it could look like. I am not looking to pick it apart grammatically but how can I make this a learning experience too. We have not really done journaling much. As classical schoolers what do you think? We learned how to write a book report in a grammar program but not sure about this approach.

Is she used to doing WWE type narrations? I have my kids narrate back to me what they read. You could have her right that down. Although, if she's not a very confident writer, I'd caution you on having her write every time she reads. You don't want to kill her reading.

Another fun idea would be to have an interactive journal, where she writes about anything she finds interesting and then you write back to her. You could ask each other questions, make connections or predictions, etc. I've done these in school before and they can be fun as long as it stays light.