Menu

Origins

Could people with different beliefs please explain to me what they believe about origins. I was raised reading Genesis and that's it no scientific explanations at all. Honestly, from the little I've heard, no theory seems too logical to me and I've never pursued them. Now though, I need to teach my kids something and don't know which path to pick. If people could just give me a quick summary of their train of thought I'd super appreciate it. No reason to agree or disagree with each other I need to hear lots of points of views not how they relate to each other. Thanks.

Well, as a Christian who studied molecular and cell biology, I am often accused from both sides of being a sell-out. ;)

Here's how I approach it- I believe in the Bible and that God created the earth. I believe in a God who is supernatural and beyond our level of understanding. I believe that science, which I LOVE, relies on purely natural evidence. Natural evidence alone cannot define or describe supernatural processes. I think science is a fully evolving thing, we always find and learn and discover and redefine things, so to me, to rely solely on science is faulty. BUT, as much as I believe the Bible is God's infallible word, it would be, in my mind, silly to look to it as a science text. I don't believe that God's Word was intended to answer all of our questions, but instead to give us a route to Him that can answer them. I think we should find in the Bible a God to whom, through the Holy Spirit, will reveal all we need to know.

All of that being said- the way I try to approach science and religion teaching with my kids is this: we start with the Bible. I tell my kids that this is what their Dad and I believe, because we've studied it and feel God has helped us learn it. Then we read other things- other creation stories, science ideas that refute God's word, etc. We're VERY open with the fact that not everyone believes as I do. I spend a lot of time saying "We don't really know, many people think lots of different things." And "Maybe we can look into this more, would you like to find more books about this?" So far, my little ones have yet to take me up on it, but we do talk about it a lot.

In summary- I believe God created the Earth, but I'm not sold on the Young Earth theory, I do believe in evolution but I don't believe it could have been the only force in developing our world. I plan to teach my kids that those are the things I believe, and why, and then also introduce them to what others believe. I would like us all to enjoy the journey in developing their own beliefs. And I expect to learn a lot along the way.

ETA- Personally, there are few things I'm willing to teach my kids as pure truth. Math concepts, sure. Salvation issues, absolutely. But, for me, to teach something as complicated as Creationism or anti-Creationism as absolute truth just opens up too many ways for my kids to question my integrity in their teaching. If I cannot completely prove to them, and myself, that something is proof, then I myself am not comfortable teaching it. I respect the Young Earthers I know who have take this stand with their kids but, because I'm not as convinced, I cannot teach that myself.

Edited by LillyMama