Menu

Considering Teaching Textbooks

We are currently using Math U See for 2nd and 4th grades. However, the mastery approach does not go well with standardized testing. My 4th grader has never seen a fraction and this year she needs to know how to reduce them, add and subtract them. That being said, I am considering changing math curriculum. I love the looks of Teaching Textbooks. My younger daughter loves to do anything on the computer and I feel it is a perfect fit for her. However, I am concerned about all the posts about TT being slow. My daughters do very well with math and I certainly do not want to hold them back. If I place them correctly and let them move at their own pace, will that solve the problem? I had a dear friend that has used this program recommend that I not use it unless my girls are struggling in math. If you have experience with TT, please tell me about it!

Thanks,

Teresa

If you do a search of the boards, you'll find a plethora of info about TT. My experience has been very positive. My oldest is definitely not behind in math, but we've used TT for the past two years because I needed something he could do independently and also because math is not my strong suit and he was getting up there! He used it a year ahead because that is where he placed. But I don't see it as behind at all. He has been over-prepared for standardized testing (found the math portion "easy" compared to what he'd been doing in TT.)

ETA: We are not hs'ing next year, but if we were, I'd be getting TT for all three of my dc. I like it that much.

Edited by Princess Peach

My two oldest started using TT in March of this year and we have enjoyed the program. I used the TT placement tests available at their website. They are both progressing very well with it and love the fact quizzes and instant feedback that they receive from the computer while they are practicing. While we haven't received their testing results, they both felt very good after testing this year. HTH