Menu

Addressing Epilepsy Without Medication?

Hello all~

I am new to this forum and was hoping to maybe see if there is anyone who has addressed epilepsy/seizures from a natural perspective. Our son had an episode recently (he was weeks away from 9) and it was, as far as we can tell, the only time anything like this has happened. I am hesitant to begin a long commitment to brain altering medication, but clearly want to make the best choices possible for him. Does anyone have first hand experience with similar circumstances?

Thank You. :)

I have occassional seizures and have never used medication. One reason this is an option for me is that I have a very clear aura before I have one. I get really nauseous about 20 minutes before one occurs, which gives me time to pull over when driving, sit or lie down, or tell someone what's about to happen. I make sure I get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, and avoid triggers like caffeine and alcohol. My neurologist said that if the seizures got worse I'd have to consider medication, but since I only have them maybe twice a year, I can continue on without it.

I read this article recently. My son takes 2000 i.u. of vitamin D daily per his neurologist. BUT, he is also on multiple seizure meds as well. It can cause extreme nausea, so you have to find your "right" dose. I can't take more than 5,000 i.u. daily.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/12/vitamin-d-deficiency-on-epilepsy.aspx