Menu

Question about MCT's language arts program

HSDCY

I have read all the recent MCT treads and checked out the sample pages on their website. I am very likely to use it for my rising 4th grader this fall. However, I don't see it cover literature, comprehension or critical thinking skills, am I right?

On RFWP website they have a series called "Suppose the Wolf were an Octupus" that teaches reading comprehension and critical thinking. I guess I would like to know if I need to get that or all five books from MCT's curriculum would be enough.

Thank you in advance!!

You are correct, MCT does not cover literature, comprehension, or critical thinking (at least at the younger levels, I'm not familiar with the higher levels).

We have the STWWAO books for grades K-2 and 3-4. The books that each one covers are listed on the RFWP website. They have a few questions at each level of Bloom's Taxonomy that could be used for discussion, or as the basis for a written report for older kids. I think these would be a great addition to a book club discussion with a group of kids.

One thing I don't like is that the questions are based on the entire book, rather than on just sections. We like to discuss longer books as we go, rather than waiting until the end. There are also not any additional activities included, which can really enhance the experience of reading the book.

Overall, I'm glad we have the book, but it isn't really complete enough to be the only thing we use for literature. We are combining it with Lit Guides from Moving Beyond the Page, so some books we just discuss, some books we dive deeper, and some books he just reads for fun.

Thank you for your answer. That was exactly what I was looking for.

One thing I don't like is that the questions are based on the entire book, rather than on just sections. We like to discuss longer books as we go, rather than waiting until the end. There are also not any additional activities included, which can really enhance the experience of reading the book.

I am thinking about using Suppose the Wolf were an Octupus book 2 for the literature and critical thinking aspect. You mentioned Lit. Guides from Moving Beyond the Page. Could you tell me what MBtP Lit. Guide offers that STWWAO does not? Also, I am wondering if STWWAO book 2 would be too easy for ds who reads at 7-8th grade level? Thanks!

Michael Clay Thompson covers literature, literary analysis and critical thinking in his book - Classics in the Classroom.

Basically, he feels that reading and discussing classics (in all subjects, not just literature class) is the best way to cover literature.

He is a proponent of using Bloom's taxonomy to determine questions. He discusses each level and provides some example questions in his book. He also suggests taking a training course from Junior Great Books or Paideia to properly use Socratic discussion with the child(ren.)

He does not believe in worksheets or written book reports. For literature he suggests (a general suggestion) reading one book aloud for ongoing discussion every six weeks and having the student read two books alone to be discussed after reading during the same time period. He does suggest written essays and an occasional research report at the high school level.

I have found the book to be very helpful and well worth the price. I generally read through it at least once a year. At the end of the book is a list of 1300 classics listed alphabetically by author with coding as to who deemed each book a "classic." For example - On AP exam, in Great Books of the Western World, in Harvard Classics, a Newbery Medal winner, etc. He used 22 different sources to make the list. It is one of my favorite lists!

I forgot to add: Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus has questions similar to what MCT would suggest for books students read alone and discuss afterward. One thing to note about SWWO is that there are no answers to the questions or summaries of the books so you will have to read each book as well if you assign it for independent reading.