Menu

Ikea - kitchen cabinets- good or bad?

My 22 yo son is remodeling his house and doesn't have a kitchen. He was looking at the Ikea ones online and we were wondering about quality, etc. Does anyone have these and would like to give me their opinion on them? Or has anyone looked at them at the store and could comment on them. I would really appreciate it. The store is several hours away and we don't want to check them out if we know that they are junk ahead of time. THanks for the help~!

We used them for the snack bar for our media room. The fit and finish of the cabinets is amazing, they go together so easily, the doors slide smoothly and all that. Very well engineered, excellent quality. The door fronts, on the other hand, are pretty average in my opinion. We will eventually switch out the door fronts to something we like better, and keep the excellent Ikea bases.

That said, we put a nice granite countertop and some fun knobs on the cabinets and you don't really notice that the door fronts aren't that great!

I agree with the craftsmanship but would add that it depends which door fronts a person chooses.

If he chooses a melamine front, it is bound to chip on the corners at some point. If he chooses one of the softer woods, it will lose its finish at some point near the knobs (nature of the beast). If he goes with the harder woods or with the plasticized fronts, though, they are really tough.

I've always liked the tempered glass fronts, myself -- don't know if they still offer those...

asta

My 22 yo son is remodeling his house and doesn't have a kitchen. He was looking at the Ikea ones online and we were wondering about quality, etc. Does anyone have these and would like to give me their opinion on them? Or has anyone looked at them at the store and could comment on them. I would really appreciate it. The store is several hours away and we don't want to check them out if we know that they are junk ahead of time. THanks for the help~!

I've been terribly impressed with Ikea kitchen cabinets. (We had them in Germany.) In fact, my husband is slightly upset that I have already informed him of the Ikea cabinets I want in my new kitchen (whenever THAT happens). They are more expensive than something I could get like at Home Depot or Lowes, but their quality is far superior! (IMO)

That said, I know some people have issues putting them together (find it difficult). DH is awfully handy, so this isn't an issue for us (plus he's had lots of practice). All the instructions are pictoral.