Menu

getting started with Phonetic Zoo

if one wanted to go bare bones about it, how would one get adequately set up with the necessary materials for Phonetic Zoo? i don't want to skimp on materials that will make us successful as utilizing the program, but we also just bought MCT island package and IEW startup package so i'm looking for ways to skimp on the cost of the rest of what we need for school next year .... {we start in june each year}

thanks!

Not sure if you are already a member of IEWs yahoo group but if you aren't I would join. They have files for Phonetic Zoo and a great idea for a lapbook station to use. There are also directions for a poster board sized spelling station that comes in the teacher's manual for Phonetic Zoo. I don't think there is much else that you need:)

I actually came up with the lapbook, but another lady on the group typed up instructions for it.

If you want to go bare bones, just get the budget pack for $29, you'll get the cards for the kiddo and the ones you'll use to give the test (instead of them using the audio cds for the testing) You'll still get the free downloadable guide for it from IEW if you order the package this way.

Well with PZ the rule is in a little jingle and then they get a zoo card to keep to help remind them, but the tests work different. You give them the same list each day until they get 100% 2 days in a row, when I was using it I made them get 100% 3 days in a row in order to move on, because 2 just wasn't enough, which is why we went back to AAS, their rules for the ways to spell sounds come in smaller chunks with PZ you get a few ways all at once. For example they'll give you 3 ways to spell long A in the PZ jingle, and then they'll all be in the word list, where as AAS will give them to you one at a time and then eventually you'll get to the sorting activity for all those ways to spell the sound.

Hope that's not too confusing.

i have to say, i just really do love AAS. the only reason i was thinking of going to PZ was to have him do it independently, but if i do that, i spend more money ..... and i lose touch with how he's doing. he's not an auditory learner in the first place, so the multisensory of AAS is good for him. plus, we're starting *so many* other new things this year, to start a new spelling program when our current situation "ain't broke" seems kinda silly, upon further consideration!

there are only a *few* things i recommend across the board to all my newly-schooling mama friends. RS math, AAS, WWE. just think they are phenomenal. so why would i consider switching away?! LOL!!

i think we'll stick with AAS ....

• 2 months later...
Not sure if you are already a member of IEWs yahoo group but if you aren't I would join. They have files for Phonetic Zoo and a great idea for a lapbook station to use. There are also directions for a poster board sized spelling station that comes in the teacher's manual for Phonetic Zoo. I don't think there is much else that you need:)

Is the Yahoo Group's name IEWFamilies the group you're referring to? I had to sign up for a Yahoo account, and I've never done the groups before, so I'm a newbie at this...just want to make sure I'm joining the right group where I can access the Lapbooks information...thanks! :)

Is the Yahoo Group's name IEWFamilies the group you're referring to? I had to sign up for a Yahoo account, and I've never done the groups before, so I'm a newbie at this...just want to make sure I'm joining the right group where I can access the Lapbooks information...thanks! :)

Yes, that is the correct group! Here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IEWfamilies/