Menu

Apologia elementary

mhaddon

So at convention my son was with me and picked out which book he wanted. He picked out Zoology 3. I asked the woman working the booth if he would be ok with the third book (not in order) and told her he was going into 2nd grade. She said he'd be fine and it was better to go with what he was interested in and said that botany was more difficult than the zoology series. Now on this forum I'm reading otherwise. He didn't want astronomy at all. I tried directing him and she said not to worry. I was wondering if anyone had a child do zoology 3 as a 2nd grader and how they did? We bought the Junior workbook for him so it has less writing. Should I go ahead and make him do zoology 1? I have three youngers so no matter what someone will be starting with the more difficult one at some point... my oldest isn't a great reader yet, but is very science minded and would rather do science over anything else.

We'll be using Apologia Zoology next year for our first year of homeschooling, so I'm sorry I can't give you any first hand experience. However, when I called them to ask about their books, they recommend doing the first lesson of the first book as a prerequisite to teach the child the basics of animal classification/taxonomy before starting on the 2nd or 3rd books. Luckily, the complete first lesson is provided as sample pages on their website. So if you do want to use the 3rd zoology book, you can just use the website to cover the classification information beforehand.

Oh good news on sample page! I was just confused as to why that rep would tell me it was ok lol. So we will do that and move on with what we have. I planned on doing most of the reading anyways so that's not a problem. With the ages I have I figured I wouldn't worry about them reading science texts until they move into general science. It will be family subject.

Thanks!