Menu

APLAC Exam

My daughter took the AP Language and Composition exam yesterday. She felt very confident about her essays which is awesome. However, she said she started coughing during the multiple choice and in an attempt to not bother other testers, she wasted time. She ended up leaving five blank at the end. She feels she did well on the rest, but she's worried about not answering the last five.

Any suggestions of how that might impact her overall score? In other words, is there a limit you must get right to pass with a 3? She took the test as a young sophomore, so I think she can retest next year if she's not happy with her score?

She'll be so disappointed if she does well on the essays and not the multiple choice. She figured she'd ace that section....

Skipping 5 should not be a problem if she aced the essays. Based on the 2007 released exam over 73% of those who get up to 10 mc wrong get 5's, and over 23% of those who get between 10 & 20 wrong get a 5 and over 54% a 4. In fact, the vast majority of those who got up to 1/2 the mc wrong will score a 3 or above.

I just looked at the scoring sheets for a prior released exam after the test yesterday. My daughter thought the MC were much more difficult yesterday than on any of the released prior exams she had taken, in which she never missed more than 4 mc. Yesterday, she thinks her mc could be as low as (worst case scenario) 42/55 correct--there were 13 questions that she wasn't absolutely certain she got correct. Based on the prior exams, scoring sheets, she would still only need to average less than a 7 (of 9 points) on the 3 essays and still get a 5.

Of course, each exam's curve is slightly different, but the consensus seems to be that the MC yesterday were more difficult than normal.

Thanks for the detailed information! Just what we were looking for!

My daughter really felt the essays were her strength in the exam, so I hope the multiple choice doesn't bog her down.

Thanks again!

Here is a handy score calculator: AP Pass. Your daughter can enter her MC percentage right (estimate) and toggle the essay scores to see what she might achieve, based on how she thinks she did on the MC section and the essays. I'll bet you and she will see that she's in great shape! :)

My daughter thought the MC were much more difficult yesterday than on any of the released prior exams she had taken, in which she never missed more than 4 mc.

That is exactly what I am hearing from my students who practiced by taking the 2001 and 2007 released exams. So it looks like the College Board has ratcheted up the difficulty level. My ds said the same thing about APUSH--the questions were harder than the released exams that he had practiced on.

Edited by Brigid in NC

Thanks for the calculator and encouraging words, Brigid! This is the first AP exam she's taken so she's a little rattled. We are feeling much better after playing around with the calculator!