Menu

TRISMS with an accelerated child?

Three questions:

1. Has anyone done this? (used TRISMs with an accelerated child... the child in question will probably be around age 9 but is very accelerated especially in language arts)

2. We are interested in TRISMs because it seems like a flexible program that will be easy to adapt to our needs. We will definitely secular-ize it. We won't be using the IEW component - we are happy with what we are already doing. With that in mind, does TRISMs sound like a good fit? Would it be hard to beef it up/delve/secularize/otherwise use it not quite as written?

3. Also, it is very important to us to present a *balanced* view of history - not whitewashed, not excessively Western- or man- focused. We are willing to tweak it to make this happen, but how balanced is it as-written?

I tried TRISMS DAW with a very accelerated 12 year old (had already done 9th grade LifePacs, several other high school level classes), and it really didn't work. The whole lack of life experience really came up and bit him hard. I've put it aside, and we may get back to it, or I might use it with my other son when he's in the age range it's targeted at, but it ended up just not being a good fit at all when used with a younger child, even though he was academically at or above the 'grade' level.

Which one? HM and EOC are pretty secular. I haven't seen the others, but I am not sure that there is anything to secularize. They are no problem to modify or beef up. You can view the contents on the website.

I have no experience using this with an accelerated child. I imagine it depends on how comfortable the child is with and how much the child likes research. Why don't you try the sample week from their website and see how it goes?

HTH-

Mandy

I tried TRISMS DAW with a very accelerated 12 year old (had already done 9th grade LifePacs, several other high school level classes), and it really didn't work. The whole lack of life experience really came up and bit him hard. I've put it aside, and we may get back to it, or I might use it with my other son when he's in the age range it's targeted at, but it ended up just not being a good fit at all when used with a younger child, even though he was academically at or above the 'grade' level.

Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks.

Which one? HM and EOC are pretty secular. I haven't seen the others, but I am not sure that there is anything to secularize. They are no problem to modify or beef up. You can view the contents on the website.

I have no experience using this with an accelerated child. I imagine it depends on how comfortable the child is with and how much the child likes research. Why don't you try the sample week from their website and see how it goes?

HTH-

Mandy

We are looking at DAW. Dd loves research, so I think it will go well. I did see the sample.

Edited by SuperDad

There is a LOT of analysis in the high school levels -- compare and contrast -- sometimes not culture to culture but to things that had happened in the student's life, and there was just SO much research, he just really didn't have the maturity for it and found it pretty boring. We did some Great Courses programs instead. Now that he's almost 14, he'd do great with it and enjoy it (but we're taking a different direction than the 4 year cycle right now for various reasons).