Menu

How tomaximize my 2e's school experience

Guest racie0417

Guest racie0417

I introduced myself earlier today in this post: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377840

Mainly, I am looking for advice from other special need families. I am not sure how to best ensure that my son has a positive school experience. We are moving to another state this summer, but if we weren't, I'd have no hesitations about sending him to public kindergarten. We are moving and the state we are moving to is already fighting with me about services. I am pretty sure they don't have the resources to follow my son's IEP from our current state.

Because of that, I am considering doing afterschool or possibly even homeschooling him.

My son will be entering kindergarten and has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS, anxiety disorder not otherwise specified, and Developmental Motor Coordination Disorder. He has sensory issues (mixed sensory profile). He does private behavioral therapy and private speech and OT. His current IEP is focused on his fine motor delays, social delays, and communication issues (lack of eye contact). He also has a very high IQ and is performing at the first grade level.

What type of homeschool or afterschool curriculum would be best suited for him and for me (just starting homsechooling for the first time)? I am completely overwhelmed.

I think step one will be to familiarize yourself with the homeschooling laws in your new state. Then, start researching homeschooling styles and learning styles in order to determine the best fit for you as a teacher and your son as a student. After that, you'll want to seek out materials that best match you both.

I use a lot of online resources for my kids because I tend to keep track of things better that way. The amount of free resources available is overwhelming and fee-based materials do an excellent job of covering the bases. Once you add in printable materials, the choices seem endless.

But again, the first step is figuring out what your specific goals are.