Menu

Need suggestions for best educational iphone apps for middle school

I've just put a toe into the 21st century ;) by upgrading my phone from the flip phone I got 8 years ago (no texting, no camera, no games, just a phone) to an 8GB iphone. So, now I am in need of suggestions for educational apps for my middle schooler. Eventually getting an ipad (for the family) and an itouch (for her) are in the plans, but this is what we will have for now (and it's a huge leap for us):001_smile:

Any ideas? We are finishing up life science (still working on human body systems, human health, then ecology), will be moving into earth/space then physical science over the next 2 years. History is focusing on American history for the rest of middle school adding in world history to give context and I'd like her to learn more modern geography. We should hit prealgebra in the next couple of months and she is a beginner in Spanish (as we all are here). Areas in which she could use particular practice---getting faster with her multiplication facts and the mechanics of grammar (punctuation, capitalization, etc). She loves manga, drawing, comics and has a rather dark sense of humor (zombies are a plus:)). Free is always good, but looks like most apps are cheap.

Thanks for any suggestions! I've done a search on the forums, in the app store and online and gotten some ideas, but it's hard to sort out the appropriate grade level, which apps are iPad only, which are still available, which are worth it, etc.

Stack the States (or Countries)

Presidents vs Aliens

watch for some of the McGraw-Hill math apps to be free

Math Zapper

Mindsnacks Spanish (might be a little too young since she's already started)

The Brittannica Kids apps go for free now & then

Brainpop has a free app with a video of the day

Factor Samurai

Chicken Coop Fractions

If you're on Facebook, there's a page called something like "Apps for Homeschooling" and she posts new or on sale or free apps several times a day, often with a review. There's a lot more out there for younger kids, but this is how I found out about the Brittanica apps (normally $5-10, so it's grea when they are free) & McGraw-Hill math.