Menu

I really need help with math, please help!!

Dd11 is using Systematic Math this year for 6th and has done fine with it, but looking ahead I do not like the progression the program takes and she is very tired of the video teaching. Where do I go from here. I have looked at several Pre-Algebra text and she is not prepared for that. What is the normal progression of math courses for an average math student? I am thinking of getting the Key To books and having her work through those as needed. I also have looked at Saxon since I have the 7/6 book and think this will work. I just want to find something we can continue until the end.

So she is not ready for Saxon 8/7. If she does 7/6 in 7th grade and 8/7 in 8th grade she could start Algebra in 9th?

If she does well with Saxon, yes. :) Their 8/7 book is considered prealgebra.

Lial's BCM is another option that have her prepared for algebra 1. BCM is mastery, focusing on one main topic at a time.

These resources are things I came across sometime ago, while I have used some of both resources they are not our main math thing.

Critical Thinking Approach, Poage - offers a complete series written to a mature temperment, emotional age range young adult, imo. http://www.actionmathematics.com/

Fractions and More, Migachyov - is written in a friendly tone and Dina's voice is clearly speaking to the reader. Emotional age range younger than above, but not babyish. http://www.quaternionpress.com/buybooks.html

Both focus on the essentials free of fluff, both are fairly traditional in there approach to math. Both could be something worth exploring.

Whatever math program you end up using, you may want to consider Danica McKeller's supplement series. My daughter has thoroughly enjoyed them, to the point that we now pre-order each book as soon as it's listed at Amazon. Here are my reviews of the first two books, and another blog post where I taught my daughter an idea from the second book:

Whatever math program you end up using, you may want to consider Danica McKeller's supplement series. My daughter has thoroughly enjoyed them, to the point that we now pre-order each book as soon as it's listed at Amazon. Here are my reviews of the first two books, and another blog post where I taught my daughter an idea from the second book:

I totally forgot I have the second book on my shelf! I loved your review because that was me. I bought the book, flipped through it, and decided it wasn't for us. I will have to let dd look over it again. Would this be considered enough to get her ready for pre-alegebra?

I totally forgot I have the second book on my shelf! I loved your review because that was me. I bought the book, flipped through it, and decided it wasn't for us. I will have to let dd look over it again. Would this be considered enough to get her ready for pre-alegebra?

That depends on your daughter's background. The books don't have many practice problems. The strength of the book is in the explanations, because it's nice to have an alternative to textbooks, which are often confusing. Also, many of Danica's explanations have a bit of humor to them (like the prime monkeys), which makes them easier to remember.

You might be able to combine them with practicing on Khan's free website or something.