Menu

I've never sold used curriculum before. How do you arrange it?

I want to post a few items on the Sale and Swap board, but I've never sold used curriculum before, and I'm not sure about how to work out the logistics. Do I include shipping costs in the price of the item? Is it wise to accept only money orders? Any tips are appreciated.

I just posted my first sale too. I set up a Paypal account so they could transfer money that way. Very simple and secure. I listed mine with ppd so the price listed is total unless they would want insurance and faster shipping. I am learning about all this too. I will be mailing my first sale today, in fact!

Oh, I set up a regular Paypal. It doesn't accept credit cards, which cost you something to use. It is hooked up to my bank account for ease of transfer as well.

I have been asking about this lately as well!

Although I haven't sold anything on this board since the new rule about having 50 posts (though I sold things before this rule . . . maybe I'll eventually get 50 posts and start to sell again!), I do sell on other websites as well as Ebay.

It is so much easier for you and the buyer to price it with the shipping costs built in. i.e. $20ppd Most send their books via "Media Mail" which has much cheaper rates. It does take longer, but it is much cheaper. Sometime someone wants it faster than Media Mail (which can be slow) and I will send it out another way, but they pay for the difference in price.

I used to not do this, but for less than a dollar, I usually buy a confirmation number. This tells you when and if the package made it to its destination. If it is valuable, add insurance.

Really, it is up to you how you want your payment. I've never gotton burnt over a bad check, but I've heard of some people who have, so that is the reason some only want Money Orders. You could accept personal checks, but allow time for it to clear before you send out the item. Just make sure the buyer knows that in advance.

Honestly, the easiest way to receive a payment is to accept Paypal. It is secure and it is FAST. You have your money now, rather than later. Also, the buyer can have their item quicker as they are not waiting for the mail both sending and receiving.

There is really no one "right" way to sell. You find something that you are comfortable with.

Have fun selling!