Menu

Please compare Conceptual Physics with Apologia Physics

I have Conceptual Physics but don't feel comfortable trying to match labs from a separate source to the text. Apologia has labs integrated into the text. I would like to know how CP and Apologia compare.

How easy would it be to use labs from Apologia with CP? I realize this is still matching separate sources; but I need a way to do CP with labs, and this seems like an easier option that wouldn't be terribly expensive. I would even consider using Apologia Physics instead of *or* supplemented with CP..... I just want an easy way to get 9th grade physics done without it depending on me.... I have NO physics background.

What are the math pre-reqs for Apologia Physics?

Dd will be in 9th grade next year. She is completing Alg. I in 8th grade. She will take geometry in 9th.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I assume by "Conceptual Physics" you mean one of Hewitt's texts. (There are other Conceptual Physics programs out there.) If so, yes, Apologia requires a little bit more math -- but it really is only Algebra I with the trig functions applied to a right triangle.

Apologia's "labs" for the most part are really demonstrations. There is very little math required and no heavy-duty analysis of data. It would be fairly easy to co-ordinate the labs in Apologia to CP.

I don't have a copy of CP with me, but throughout the text, Hewitt has sprinkled suggested demos as well: shooting pool balls, rolling various cans down ramps, etc.