Menu

Top K-8 literature books?

Rosie

In light of the Circe thread and the continuing discussion about basing studies around literature instead of history, I'd like to start a thread where people can post their personal favorite children's literature. I think it would be best to post books that wouldn't fall into neat historical categories but I won't limit it to only those.

What are your top choices for elementary-middle school level read aloud books (or readers) with high literary quality? (If you feel so inclined, mark your top 3 in bold.)

Oh, and it would be wonderful to have some listed that are not the "usuals" on lists like this - more modern works, lesser known older works...

Really? No one?

Okay, I guess I'll post a few ideas, but I don't really think I am well-read enough to judge what is of merit and what isn't in terms of literary quality. Some books I have read that I think would fall under that category would be...

Winnie-the-Pooh

The House at Pooh Corner

The Magician's Nephew

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

Little Women

The Princess and the Goblin

The Secret Garden

Understood Betsy

Anne of Green Gables

The Hobbit

Anyone else want to add in some books that might (but shouldn't) be missed if basing a K-8 education around history? (EDIT: Since this wasn't clear - What are some excellent literature books that might be missed out on if you were only choosing your read alouds based on what you are studying in history?)

Edited by Rosie

A Little Princess

The Secret Garden

Little Women

Chronicles of Narnia

Pippi Longstocking

Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself

Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales

Anne of Green Gables

Twig

Heidi

Ozma of Oz

Charlotte Sometimes

Understood Betsy

King of the Wind

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

The Railway Children

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

DD wouldn't forgive me if I didn't include Black Beauty

Thimble Summer

Charlotte's Web

There are others I didn't list, like The Princess and the Goblin, and most of them aren't for lack of merit, but I haven't read them so I can't say how good or bad they are.

Anyone else want to add in some books that might (but shouldn't) be missed if basing a K-8 education around history?

IMO:

Tales from Ancient Egypt

some version of King Arthur, possibly either by Roger Lancelyn Green or TH White

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

The Book of Pirates

1000 & 1 Arabian Nights (either Lang or McCaughrean)

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare or Tales from Shakespeare

The White Company

Little Lord Fauntleroy

A Tale of Two Cities

Legends of Charlemagne (Bulfinch)

King of the Wind

Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West

Black Beauty

To Kill a Mockingbird

Favorite Poems, Old and New

The Story of My Life (Helen Keller)

All-of-a-Kind Family

Betsy-Tacy

The Little Prince (not strictly history-based, but not to be missed)

Children of the New Forest

Honestly, I think it's rather too limiting to choose all literature based on history. You miss out on excellent books like Winnie-the-Pooh and Peter Pan and fairy tales, etc. I'm making a conscious effort to base next year's lit on good literature instead of letting our history rotation dictate my choices and there are SO many more to choose from!

IMO:

Honestly, I think it's rather too limiting to choose all literature based on history. You miss out on excellent books like Winnie-the-Pooh and Peter Pan and fairy tales, etc. I'm making a conscious effort to base next year's lit on good literature instead of letting our history rotation dictate my choices and there are SO many more to choose from!

I'm sorry - rereading what I wrote, I can see that it was confusing.

What I meant was that, if you are basing your kids education around history, you might end up leaving out a lot of great literature that doesn't tie in to history. So, what are some books that might be missed but shouldn't be if you want to cover literature well?

So, yes, I agree with you!