Menu

The things people say......

Next time someone says something like that to you, I want to be next to you and go into a little skit about how we live in a house made of books. "Why, we're expanding our garage of course!"

The oddest thing I ever heard was from a homeschooling mom. She was/is (I don't know. I make it a point of not keeping track of her.) one of the founding members of the big local Christian group.

She asked me why I homeschooled if I didn't go to church. I explained yada yada yada and her response was, "Oh. I thought maybe you were teaching your children to kill Christians. Hey, maybe we could come over to your house for a lunch picnic tomorrow!"

(I lived on the bay at the time and that was a fun house to have people over to!)

But I thought it was so weird. She thinks I'm teaching my kids to kill her kids but she wants Subway with us? :001_huh::001_huh:

And who teaches a 4 year old to KILL people? Wouldn't I start that a little later, say around 15 or so because a 4 year old isn't going to get who is Christian or not and 4 year olds can have some doozy tantrums. I don't want my psychotic 4 year coming after ME when I don't give her a lollipop. :D

I literally just LOL. :lol:

The last time the kids and I were at the library, I overheard two moms say things that made me almost sob.

Mom #1: "Now remember, honey, you can only check out two or three books. No more!"

Mom #2: "No, sweetie, we don't want that. It's not a video, that's a BOOK."

I have said that to DC before, but only because I had about a dozen books on hold, and couldn't carry more than 20 books at a time. If I don't have a big stack on hold, they generally pick 6-10 books each.

The last time the kids and I were at the library, I overheard two moms say things that made me almost sob.

Mom #1: "Now remember, honey, you can only check out two or three books. No more!"

Mom #2: "No, sweetie, we don't want that. It's not a video, that's a BOOK."

I could have been one of those moms. Ha!

We have SO. MANY. AWESOME. BOOKS. at home. Especially when my boys were younger, it annoyed me to have them pull a bunch of twaddle books off of the library shelves. I didn't want to have to keep track of them and get them back to the library on time (and keep them from getting destroyed). We did borrow a lot of videos from the library because they had a good selection (Bill Nye, Reading Rainbow, Popular Mechanics for Kids, Countries Around the World, etc.), and I wasn't willing to spend money on them for our own collection like I do for books.

I'm now finally getting to the point where they have almost exhausted our library at home. I can't buy books fast enough (though I try :lol:), and I borrow a lot from the library. But I often choose the books and put them on hold ahead of time.