Menu

Scheduling Question

Hey there!

I'm a new homeschooler. DS1 is finishing out the first grade at public school this year. We are already doing some afterschooling right now as he's been slightly "behind" in several areas and we are enjoying it. :) We have a unique situation and I'm basically trying to figure out when I should start our "2nd grade year". His last day of public school is June 6th (I'm not doing any schooling at all that week).

DH will be gone for the month of July and we are going on a 1 week trip then. We will do a 2 week family vacation at the end of August. DH will deploy (again...he just got back a few months ago) in early Fall/ late summer. We are considering moving to the east coast during this time but that is REALLY up in the air for various reasons. If we do move, we will most likely do a lot of traveling to see family/friends but I think I could just bring our schooling with us for the most part. Either way, I would need to block out a week for the deployment day/possible move and then another when he returns and we move back. And then, the biggest thing is that DH returns in late winter and, within a month, we'll be moving to the UK.

Right now, we are not sure what we will do in the UK. We know that the boys could go to a super great prep school for free with a low student-teacher ratio, but I'm not sure that we will definitely go that route vs. continuing homeschooling.

So, what I'm trying to decide is when to start our "year". Theoretically, I could start in June and be finished with the year before the UK move. Not sure I want to do that, though. And if I don't, I'm guessing the move will take us out of homeschooling commission for a few weeks to a month or more as we move/adjust/etc. Which leads me to my next question...what's the longest break you all have taken and been okay with getting back into your groove.

Oh, and FWIW...I'm working with him now into June on some late first grade stuff to "catch him up". When we officially start 2nd grade, I will be doing Sonlight Core B.

Anyway, hopefully I've narrowed down the important facts here. I would love any input you all could give me. I'm a planner by nature (especially as a former teacher) but there are so many twists and turns here and I've never homeschooled that I could really use some expert advice.

Thanks so much!