Menu

Help DS become more decisive and opinionated!

My 13 yo son tends to be indecisive, plus he generally doesn't express strong opinions. Everything is always fine with him. While this is nice for family harmony (he doesn't really care whether or not he gets the last brownie) I want to be sure he develops the needed skills as he moves into the rhetoric stage. He has strong logic skills and analytical/critical thinking skills when it relates to a concrete set of information or a problem solving scenario. My concern is primarily geared toward literary analysis.

Any suggestions appreciated.

We have Memoria Press Logic 1 which I have been reading and deciding how to present to the the kids. I also just ordered A Rulebook for Arguments. I think older son listened to an audio lecture from the library on rhetoric....need to look into that. Older son is pretty decisive AND opinionated. :)

I think debate is a good idea. I had forgotten about that. We also recently looked into Toastmasters, but basically that would involve me starting a Gavel Club for young people. Not sure I am up for another organizational feat. I might poke around a bit and see if I come across any local people interested in running one though.

Have you seen the new writing curriculum from World magazine? It is a two year course and it's for middle school but I've given alot of thought to using it next year with my then 8th grader. I have only seen sample pages but I've also read a few reviews and from what I understand it was written to help students to form and express their own opinions.

I don't think the curriculum is in any way dependent upon the magazine. If you aren't interested in anything "Christian", then it may not be something you would be interested in trying out. I have never read the magazine. I've seen one copy and wasn't interested in subscribing to it. I would love to get my hands on the curriculum though. I think the approach sounds like one that would be great for my son. I would like for him to work on developing his own voice and opinions through his writing.

Here is a link to the Table of Contents, to give you an idea of what is covered in the course:

http://www.learnwithworld.com/writewithworld/contents.php