Menu

Handwriting question

meggie

Pigby wanted to learn how to write in cursive. So I started teaching him. I printed out a bunch of the letters from StartWrite and have just been having him trace them.

Now he's trying to write in cursive everywhere. He doesn't want to do print anymore. And his WWE page today (I used the copywork for handwriting practice, not necessarily writing instruction) was a lot messier and he had to erase a TON (normally he doesn't need to). I'm going to go ahead and drop the WWE for now. I made pages on StartWrite with all the AAS words and dictation phrases. I'm just going to have him trace these words so that he can get used to different letters connecting to each other.

He's very good at tracing, he's pretty good about copying what I write. Do you think my plan is sufficient for handwriting? I don't really want to add in a cursive curriculum if I don't have to. Would practice be enough?

Yes, in my experience with dd, daily copywork is enough. If you are up for it, you can also put all the WWE copywork in StartWrite.

Other activities that I felt improved my dd's muscle control, were playdoh and colouring.