Menu

Xpost: Having a baby this summer, need independent skills work for dc11&9

Dianne-TX

I got two responses on the general board, but I thought I would xpost here for more suggestions. Thanks for any help!

What are some independent type resources I can give dc11&9 to work on and build up their skills that won't require a lot of me teaching them directly, but I can help as they move along, if needed? The skills that we need to work on are spelling, language arts type skills. I'm not a workbook type usually, but I think we might need something like that for practice. We presently don't do any formal spelling, just occasional dictation and spelling practice as needed when writing their narrations or just writing a story for fun and they ask for help. Copywork would be their main form of learning spelling/grammar skills. Formal grammar has been very minimal. I hate to think that I would need to start from the beginning in a workbook series (like grade 1?), but if it's necessary, it's necessary. I want to build them up right. They will continue independent reading and I'll try to read outloud, too. Our math has stayed up pretty well and they are using XtraMath for practice and speed. I always add a map skills workbook, too. They did typing last summer and we'll probably do that again.

Any other independent ideas would be great, too! Thanks!

ETA: I've also been thinking that I would like to add vocabulary/dictionary work, too. I'm thinking I'd just work off a list of words (would like to have a good list to work with) and have them look up the words in the dictionary and write the definition and use it in a sentence? Any ideas about that would be great, too. :)