Menu

Math Story Problems

edeemarie

I'm just wondering if there are any good math websites, or maybe even a cheap curriculum, that will provide extra practice in solving story problems. My ds8 is strong in math, but I feel he could use some more practice with story problems. Thanks so much for any suggestions!

There's always Singapore Challenging Word Problems. They are usually tough, multi step problems. You might even want to use them a year behind, many people do... so if your DS is doing a level 3 math, get the level 2 CWP. Not sure where all they sell them, but I got ours at cbd.com.

Thank you all for your suggestions- I will do some research into them:) I just got the IOWA test today and since they have story problems I want to make sure he can get through them- that seems to be the thing he struggles with most in his daily math. I can give him a problem and he can figure it out, but if you put words to it he has a hard time figuring out how to set up a problem to go with it :(

Strayer-Upton is dirt cheap. Rainbow Resource sells the entire 3 volume grades 3-8 curriculum for $37.50 ($6.38 a year). The books are cheap enough that I buy 2 of each volume. I rip apart one of the books to scan, enlarge and print out the drill pages as worksheets. The pages of word problems I just do from the intact book.

Links to FREE New Ray's Arithmetic. I don't have the links handy, but I like the older ones better. I got mine at Google. There is a yahoo group for Rays.

My first grader likes Evan Moore's Daily Word Problems because each week has a theme of an animal with facts. I purchased it on Amazon. Some questions are a little of a stretch for her to figure out, some easy, and some just right.

We are going to switch to Singapore next year in 2nd grade and do level 1.

My first grader likes Evan Moore's Daily Word Problems because each week has a theme of an animal with facts. I purchased it on Amazon. Some questions are a little of a stretch for her to figure out, some easy, and some just right.

I forgot about those! We've used this line of DWP before with great success.