Menu

If you have used or are familiar with MOH...do you think MOH provides adequate guidance for you as you teach your Logic/Middle age student? Aside from it being a chronological history study with a middle grade reading level, how does MOH approach logic stage history as per classical education? I've looked at the samples online...and I'm not seeing it. I may be looking for the wrong thing so feel free to set me straight! it looks like the activities geared toward the middle age students are not really making the connections that SWB talks about in WTM. I see the organization happening with timelines, mapping and notebook. Just starting to think about Logic...so feel free to clue me in.

It is classical in its ability to be straightforward with the content and the simplicity if needed.

There are note pages to download for summary, outline, or narration. It outlines easily, and narrates well.

There are steps to create fact cards; however, I print the challenge cards. I incorporate the cards into our memory book. Once memorized, they go in the "jar". We pull from the jar each week to review. This came from something that I saw for geography and copywork while surfing the net and reading on the Hive.

I use the fillable pages too. They come in the notebook bundle. We do not outline or narrate eveything.

FYI, the lapbook elements are easily presented on cardstock and added to your history notebook too.

Now, with that said, MOH as it is presented is not truly following the WTM manner. With small tweaks, it fits perfectly with the content and layout as designed - add a few of the compenents to build a great notebook.

AH will take us 2 years because I added more detailed reading and tons of literature! (The first quarter of MOH, our first semester, is on my blog. I am transfering my scribbles to the computer for q2, but it is not up yet. My reading list is up for all of volume 1.) I added many more hands-on activites too. However, the activities in MOH are more than enough. I changed the maps to Knowledge Quest. They had more to offer, but it isn't necessary.

I make the connections between resources to demonstrate more of a cause and effect to historical events. Discussion is something that is required in history. Getting the extended and more detailed overview is required prior to any discussion or analysis of anything historical. The questions serve to cover some of this, but ultimately I would think that having a conversation about the subject matter and reasoning out the why is not something that can be laid out in a book. It is a conclusion drawn from a well presented set of facts. View point and ethical and moral foundations will ultimately taint the reasoning too.

Yes, I babble too much today. :D I am off to visit the Mummies! We are still stuck on Egypt - shhhh ..... LOL

Let me know if you need more detail on how I changed it or specifically what a download or the book contains.

Edited by ChrissySC