Menu

Which Singapore books would you recommend for this child?

diaperjoys

This is for my 8yo son who is finishing 2nd grade. I need to find out if Singapore is a good "fit" for him, so we're using this last quarter of the school year to test drive it. He took the placement test for 2A....and scored 21%, which was startling, to say the least. I started him in 1A, but we're whizzing through, using the textbook and test booklet only. He understands number bonds within 10, and does well with those.

His big hangup (and the reason he totally flunked the 2A test) is addition within 20. Many of the sums above 10 give him tons of trouble and we can't seem to get past it. This seems to be addressed in book 1B, so I'd like to get recommendations about which books to get. It is remedial work for him, so I want to be thorough, but still let him catch up to his grade level & not get bogged down. I have the textbook and workbook - what other books should I add?

I would recommend getting the Home Instructor's Guide (HIG). Without tips from the HIG, it is easy to teach the text book but not actually use the Singapore method. It also has lots of ideas for using manipulatives to teach the concepts in a way that is consistent with the Singapore approach. It also has suggestions for games and enrichment activities. By the way, you don't need to buy expensive manipulatives. I used egg cartons (cut down from 12 to 10 cups) and foam counting chips when I was teaching addition and subtraction to 20.