Menu

Need recs. for teaching writing in a co-op to 4th & 5th graders

CarrieF

This year I just pulled things together from several writing curricula and it was okay, but I do not want to go through it again next year! Have any of you taught a writing class (to about 8 students), and if so, what curriculum did you use? If not, do you have any recommendations?!

Here is a list of what I have considered:

- The Write Foundation, level 2 (paragraphs)

- Write Shop 1

- somehow implementing The Writer's Jungle (not so sure HOW?!)

A couple of years ago I had a not-so-pleasant experience using IEW, so I am not so keen on using it . . . I knew there would be those who would suggest it! ;)

Thanks for any and all advice!

ETA: I have a background in English and taught it for several years in private & public schools, so please name ANY suggestions! : )

Edited by CarrieF

Hi Carrie,

I've been teaching writing in a co-op for 6 years, and I have had your same struggles. When I pull things together it is way too much work for me. When I find a program I think would work well, people balk at the price, or it doesn't really satisfy all of my criteria.

I don't know what The Write Foundation is, but I do think focusing on paragraphs is a good idea for those ages.

I have a suggestion. What if you rotated a schedule like this:

4-5 weeks focus on paragraphs using The Write Foundation. This should include paragraph structure, progressively building complex sentence structures, and strong, varied vocabulary.

2-3 weeks have some fun with creative writing using The Creative Writer by Boris Fishman and/or The Writer's Jungle. I use some exercises every year from The Writer's Jungle on our last day before breaks. You can just use these books as resources for yourself, so the students would not need to buy them.

After 2-3 weeks with creative exercises you can cycle back to paragraph writing. This will touch the learning styles and preferences of many different students, while giving them a strong foundation in paragraph writing and structure.

HTH

Leanna,

Thanks so much for the response and helpful/practical suggestions. That is a great idea to cycle through paragraphs, take a "break" with creative writing, and then finish out with paragraphs again. I like that idea a lot and have 'The Creative Writer' so that would be easy enough to do. ;)

Do you mind sharing what you have used to teach paragraph writing? I am leaning toward Write Shop because I already own it and am familiar with it (I taught it a couple of years back), but the price for the students is a little daunting. :001_huh: So, my back-up is The Write Foundation because the student sheets are less than $20 per student. It is never easy!

Thanks again!