Menu

Put That in Writing 2nd edition... Please give opinions.

I've truly been trying to put together my own syllabus for 7th grade writing, but I found Put That in Writing just a while ago, and it has such wonderful potential! They sell Mastering the Paragraph and Mastering the Essay. Mastering the Paragraph has been updated according to their webpage. I have no idea what was changed between 1st and 2nd editions.

Of everything I've looked at, this comes the closest to what I would do on my own. They teach formal writing which includes instruction on sturcture and style. Documentation is also taught. They focus on sentences in the beginning and then teach several different kinds of paragraphs. These are the course objectives and types of paragraphs taught.

Course Objectives:

• Recognizing sentence structure
  • Understanding paragraph structure
  • Using formal language
  • Adding interest with style points
  • Employing literary devices
  • Doing research
  • Avoiding plagiarism
  • Following MLA documentation
  • Evaluating and editing
  • Writing within time limits

Types of Paragraphs:

• Descriptive
  • Definitive
  • Narrative
  • Process
  • Comparison
  • Cause or Effect
  • Analogy
  • Defending a position
  • Literary character analysis

The next year a student studies essays. Writing an arguable thesis is stressed as well as writing several kinds of 5-paragraph essays.

I wish I could use a combination of Mastering Paragraphs and Mastering Essays in 7th grade, yet that would be too much with this curriculum. (If I continue to write my own plan, I would teach paragraphs in 1st semester and essays in 2nd semester...)

If you have used Put That in Writing... especially the new 2nd edition... would you please give a critique? Pros/Cons?

If you haven't looked at this, you might want to:

http://barrettsbookshelf.com/

Thanks so much!