Menu

SPD issues and working with twins- one who doesn't have a problem and one who does

My DS (who is scheduled for testing for SPD) has a twin sister who also has some low muscle tone but she is not affected the way Cole is. (My twins were born premature so I am thinking this has attributed to the SPD and I also have ADD and all the rest of my Fam). Her grasp is fine and wants to learn to write. I also have a 3.5 DD who has no issues at all.

So my question is should I work 1 to 1 with the handwriting, phonics, and math for all of them. Or combine the math and handwriting? We currently do centers for the time that we do phonics individually.

Also, I was advised that I should use a positive reinforcement for my DS for discipline. To reward him with computer or tv time as he is addicted to both. Can someone point me to some great resources for starting this. We had been using 1-2-3 Magic (my oldest is ADD and it worked great for him) but time-outs make Cole even worse and he has meltdowns at the slightest thing.

I am just getting into this SPD thing and figuring it all out. I am reading The Sensory Smart Child and on the wait list for the Out of Sync Child. I am just at a loss right now until he gets diagnosed and I can get some direction. Any advice on what to do until he is diagnosed? The wait list for the best Sensory OT group is until Sept. I can go to Children's Hospital but it is hit or miss with the OT.