Menu

For bdjjmj -- a big thank you

I'm the poster who recently found out my dd8 more than likely has mild retardation. I got a lot of great feedback and curriculum suggestions on my thread, but I just wanted to let you know that I purchased the math book you recommended (How to Teach People with Down Syndrome and Other Hands-on Learners) and I LOVE IT! The life skills/survival skills approach is the one I think I need to take with her. I love how it walks you through skill by skill. My daughter loves to play games and is definitely a kinesthetic learner, so I really think this is going to be a hit.

I have the reading book you recommended on hold at the library. If it ends up looking as good as the math book I'm going to be ecstatic!

For the first time since we had our daughter's evaluation reviewed with us, I really feel like I'm getting a handle on what I need to do with her. So thank you soooo much.

So glad to help, I am glad you love it we certainly do!! I "think" you will find the reading book just as wonderful as a great starter program.

That moment when you start to feel a handle on things is an awesome moment so Congrats :D

P.S If you got it from amazon I am sure you noticed but there is a part 2 with more advanced skills that covers multiplication/division/fractions/measurement (if and when you get there, I don't think we will need it for a LONG time if ever) Also I have found many of the other books in the woodbine press "down syndrome" series beneficial if your DS has any challenges with language, social skills, gross or fine motor skills

All the best Beth

Yes, I did notice Book 2. I'm keeping it in mind, but I also think it will be a long time before we're ready for it. If we could get her competent on everything in both books I would be really happy. I know we're talking about years to get to that point though.

I also noticed that they have a CD with all the printables from both books on it. I ended up getting that too since it is easier to print things that way than try to copy them from the book.

Thanks again!