Menu

Has anyone used TOPS as their primary science program for K-8?

Melissa B

I'm thinking about using TOPS and Ellen McHenry's guides as our only "scheduled science" for the next 4 or 5 years. I have no desire to go through science texts with my younger two and I don't really feel that any science texts I used (though sporadically) with my older two were any great benefit to them. I don't want to do a weekly read, narrate, draw, read cycle. I don't love science so I don't want to completely skip it hoping they pick up enough on their own. It looks like TOPS and the McHenry guides will provide them with lots of exploration and fun without being too expensive or time consuming. I have a fairly good, science home library that we can utilize for additional research, should the kids so desire.

I did use the TOPS lentil program with my older two when they were little and have used McHenry's Mapping program and liked it, so I think both TOPS and McHenry's units would work for us.

I would love any information I could get as to a yearly plan, which units were especially fun or useful, or even units I might want to skip altogether. My kids will be in 1st and 3rd this fall. Thanks!