Menu

remedial writing for 4th grade

choirfarm

Ok.. I've been concentrating on math and feeling pretty good about that. She reads REALLY well, so that isn't a problem. But her spelling and writing is HORRIBLE. So.. is it reasonable to do an hour and a half on that but break it up. She is going to scream, but so be it. I don't really care.

I can't figure out exactly what to do:

We did WWE2 last year but stopped halfway through because the dictations were horrible. She couldn't spell any of the words. Now she narrated the selections perfectly. She is very, very good at oral narration. ( Just don't ask her to write it down.) So should this be a component?

Copywork- She copies a scripture or a Texas history quotation or whatever every day as it is...doesn't seem to help with spelling when she thinks on her own. She has always copied things perfectly. She never makes a mistake. But if I then dictate what she just wrote, she can't do it.

We made it through IEW SWI-A through the story section. She does a good job of key word outlines one day, rewriting it the next day, revising it with me the next, copying half of it the next and the rest on the final day. So she takes a whole week to do it. To me, a 4th grader should be able to do that in a day. Can I ramp it up so she does key word and writing it out on one day, revision on one day and then copying it all on one day. So from 5 days to 3. REasonable??? If she is copying the paragraph, then should I skip copywork that day. That is what I have been doing but I'm thinking maybe she should do both. She has got to write more and not cry about writing more than one sentence at a time...

Spelling- We started AAS in January and are halfway through level 2. She find the dictation and words very easy for the most part..there are just a couple pronounciation issues but the board told me how to do it. I'm doing a lesson a day for the most part. She spells about 10 of the words orally, goes over the blue and red cards, sometimes spells with the cards or on the board. Then we do 3 of the dictations which she always gets completely right. We spend 20 minutes or so. But none of these words are the words she struggles with in her writing. So.. I'm thinking of creating her own spelling notebook. We will take words she uses and make lists from those. That would mean 20 minutes of AAS and 15 minutes or so of her own spelling.

So

Copywork-15 minutes

Spelling: 20 AAS and 15 personal spelling

IEW- 30 minute paragraph work

I'm not sure about WWE... Isn't that reasonable.