Menu

Questions for HOD users

mom2bbj

Hoping to get some help in deciding curriculum for our first year of HS. DD is going to be in 6th grade. She has apd/capd and is not at grade level without tons of home support. With all we do at home, it seems to overload her. So only home, is what we want to try next. But...Mom is lost!!!

I *think* we will be using HOD Preparing. We've looked at the sample pages together, but neither of us know how they compare to other options available. Did I mention I'm kind of Lost? :confused:

My biggest question at the moment is what exactly do we need in addition to the basic program? I want to use Saxon math. Do you use the DITHOR? Considering her reading level is about 3rd grade. Do I do 2/3 or 4/5, or another reading program altogether. I think I'll do HOD's Science. But what else? Writing? Grammar? Spelling? or something I am not even thinking of...

Please share any advice or opinions!

Thanks

Vickie

Preparing includes grammar if you use R&S English; it schedules both Level 3 and 4. Spelling is included in the form of studied dictation. There are 3 levels in the appendix, so you start with whichever level is appropriate for your child. Writing is included in poetry creative writing and written narrations. Plus writing is included in R&S English.

As for DITHOR, we don't use it. I have my dc read silently for at least 30 minutes a day from approved books. Next year we'll be using CLE Reading. (They'll be in 4th and 5th.) You can always add DITHOR later if you want to, but I recommend just letting her practice reading first. It can take some time to get used to Preparing and all those boxes with assignments!

You can use any math you want with HOD.

The science in Preparing is good, and is listed as independent. Of course, it's fine to tweak that and assist your dd if needed.

From what you've said, I think Preparing would be great for your dd. Just be willing to adjust as necessary. Sometimes I don't require my 3rd grader to do the written narration if we've had a lot of writing in other subjects. Sometimes we work on the poetry creative writing all together instead of each child coming up with their own. It just depends on how busy we are with other subjects that day!

My biggest question at the moment is what exactly do we need in addition to the basic program? I want to use Saxon math. Do you use the DITHOR? Considering her reading level is about 3rd grade. Do I do 2/3 or 4/5, or another reading program altogether. I think I'll do HOD's Science. But what else? Writing? Grammar? Spelling? or something I am not even thinking of...

Please share any advice or opinions!

Thanks

Vickie

You need:

ECONOMY PACKAGE INCLUDES TEACHER'S GUIDE

Science Adder to Economy Package

BASIC PACKAGE (history read alouds)

SELF-STUDY DELUXE HISTORY PACKAGE: FOR THE NEWLY INDEPENDENT READER (these could be read aloud if above her reading level)

English- can be Rod & Staff or one you choose

Math- can be Singapore or one you choose

Lead Me to the Rock CD (optional for memorizing the Psalm)

I would wait to see how she does with all of this before adding DITHR.

hth.