Menu

questions about classical conversations...

Guest lovemykids2

Guest lovemykids2

Hi, I am new to home schooling and I am thinking about doing the classical conversations with my children and going to a weekly class. Can anyone give me information on what exactly it is? What is included in the foundations guide? Do I need to purchase other curriculum for my kids? :confused: I am lost as you can tell...any help would be great!

• 1 month later...
Guest joshkellar

Here's my best summary of CC for the Foundations (Elementary age). There are 3 cycles of material, one year for each cycle. There are 24 weeks in a cycle. Each week there are memorization sentences and facts that the kids learn. There are six "grammar" subjects. History, Latin, English, Science, Math & Geometry. In addition there is a timeline in which 8 historical events, people, places, etc. are learned each week. The students are encouraged to memorize the grammar facts each week. At the weekly Co-op meeting, a small class (no more than 8 students) meet to go over the grammar, do a science project, and give presentations. There is also an opening assembly with all the ages combined.

The Foundations Guide includes all the content for all 3 cycles. There are supplemental materials (maps, flash cards, song CD's etc) that can be purchased but all the actual grammar content is included in the guide.

The Foundations Guide is insufficient as a stand alone curriculum. We have just finished our first year with our DD5. We did not directly supplement the CC material at home this year because we wanted to get a good start with our Reading (Phonics Pathways), Handwriting (Handwriting Without Tears), and Math (Saxon). Next year we plan to use the CC material (Cycle 1) as a skeleton for our History and science and follow TWTM fairly closely.

I am not sure if this helps or not. I would encourage you to go to the Classical Conversations website and find out if there is a co-op near you and get in touch with the director for more in depth questions. There are usually open houses and informational meetings being held this time of year.

Blessings.

~Kellar