Menu

Length of lessons and RS C

Kidlit

I love RightStart Math and am pretty sold on it as far as my 2nd grader is concerned. However, we are sort of hitting the wall with RS C right now, not in terms of content but in terms of how long each lesson takes. We are around lesson 85, which is just after the big geometry run. A lesson takes us an hour or thereabouts. That includes all the review as well as doing review worksheets of both subtraction (or addition) and multiplication. She gets a little bit tired and/or frustrated by the end, but not terribly so. It's I, the teacher, who is frustrated! :tongue_smilie: The other thing is we hardly ever have time to do the fun stuff that she loves--the card games. I really feel the games are vital to her cementing the processes, but I'm at a loss how to do it all.

I've thought about just setting our timer for 30 minutes and working until it goes off, but I'm a little uncertain about this because I don't want to be doing RS C when she's 10! I've also thought about dividing the lesson up so that she does the practice at the end as "homework" with her dad at night, though I don't really want to complicate our nights more with more stuff to do.

Any thoughts? Advice? :bigear: Please? :D

We are in B right now, but at a certain point, we drop doing a lesson a day and do half of one a day. Or I skip some of the warmups. Or we do half the worksheet one day and next day finish the worksheet and play a game. Right now we are taking a 3 week MEP vacation...waiting on RS for awhile and doing MEP every day instead. I think RS is FANTASTIC, but there is no way Dr Cotter could say with every lesson, "Play Go to the Dump 12 times before moving on" because only you know what he/she needs. But definitely slow down/stop/play games as needed! Make the program work for you.

I'm with you, girl! Trying to remind myself constantly to enjoy the journey and not focus so much on "getting it done." Reevaluating my goals and how my actions reflect where I want my girls to go. (Do I want them to love to learn, or do I want them to finish the book?) I tell my husband all the time that I know I am learning more than our girls are! :)