Menu

Looking for a complete program (cross-post)

For next year, we are looking into some local charter schools, but we are also considering a program such as Calvert, where a complete curriculum is planned out and provided for you, and you can enroll so that you have some supervision and a transcript, and eventually a diploma, that sort of thing.

DD will be in 7th grade next year, and Calvert only goes through 8th. That's why I'm asking here on the high school boards -- to get ideas for programs like it that could take us all the way through high school. Or if any of you used Calvert in elementary/middle, what did you switch to for high school?

I think that a little outside accountability would be good for both me and my daughter. I'm afraid that I'm not consistent and disciplined enough, and I worry that we aren't covering all the bases. I have a hodgepodge curriculum, combined with a "what do we feel like doing this week" approach that has been fine for elementary, but I feel is not serving us well any more. So I want an academically sound, comprehensive, really solid program.

I really love the look of Calvert, but I'm not sure there's much point in starting it at the 7th grade.

I'm also checking into Oak Meadow. I hear a lot that it's a very gentle program, and that's not necessarily what I'm looking for. But people have said this with regard to the elementary levels, and I'm wondering if that's also true of the higher levels.

I've looked at Seton and Kolbe but, while I know Saxon math works great for a lot of families, it was a no go here. DD and I both dislike it, and both of these programs use it.

I'd like to know what you think of these programs, and also what else is out there that I haven't considered. Either secular or Christian is fine, but if Christian, I would prefer either Catholic or something toward the "high church" end of the Protestant spectrum as I think this would fit our Orthodox beliefs more closely.

Thanks for any help or recommendations!

through precalc and Jacobs for geometry. We loosely followed Kolbe for 9th/10th.

I've been reading reviews and comments here on the boards about Kolbe and Seton, and I'm thinking Koble might be a better fit for us. And it sounds like they're fairly flexible with substitutions. Thanks!

I've been reading reviews and comments here on the boards about Kolbe and Seton, and I'm thinking Koble might be a better fit for us. And it sounds like they're fairly flexible with substitutions. Thanks!

Kolbe might be a better fit for your family. Regarding Seton, all high school subjects can be done independent study using your own materials except English, Religion, History and Biology (other sciences can be independent study). Independent study courses are listed on their transcript with the grade, but it's not figured into the GPA. Seton provides a diploma and they are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. IMO the cost is also very reasonable and the teacher support has been great. :)

Kolbe might be a better fit for your family. Regarding Seton' date=' all high school subjects can be done independent study using your own materials except English, Religion, History and Biology (other sciences can be independent study). Independent study courses are listed on their transcript with the grade, but it's not figured into the GPA. Seton provides a diploma and they are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. IMO the cost is also very reasonable and the teacher support has been great. :)[/quote']

It sounds great! Some of the comments concerned me because even though I have absolutely no problem with using a Catholic program, some people said it is much too heavily steeped in Catholicism to appeal to non-Catholic families. Do you think that's true?

It sounds great! Some of the comments concerned me because even though I have absolutely no problem with using a Catholic program, some people said it is much too heavily steeped in Catholicism to appeal to non-Catholic families. Do you think that's true?

Good question. I think the answer would be different for each family, but I know that's not exactly helpful. :tongue_smilie: I would suggest calling them and speaking with someone in admissions and then you could ask specific questions. I know that there are many families who use Seton who aren't Catholic, but obviously the majority are.

When I look back at the courses dd did in 9th, and admittedly my memory of the content is fuzzy and most was seen by dd and not by me, math was Saxon and non-religious, English gave a choice of books to choose from - some were religious but I think you can use books outside that list as well, Geography was Glencoe and non-religious, Grammar and Composition IIRC had beautiful religious art in the book and the content may have been religious, Health was A-beka so Christian, Keyboarding was non-religious, Latin was Henle, and Religion was definitely Catholic.

I tried to find out if they make any accommodations for non-Catholics, but couldn't find what I was looking for - I'd give them a call.

HTH :)

You might look at St. Thomas Aquinas Academy. We have been enrolled with them since K (8 years now!) You can enroll your child, they will do an assessment and determine the best cirriculum to fit your style and needs. They are devoutly Catholic but they do not publish their own materials so they recommed the best of all that is out there.

Seton publishes most of their materials and in my experience it is very heavy on the Catholic content. I love the Catholic content in some subjects, but I don't necessisarily(sp?)think the kids need Catholic Math, Catholic spelling, Catholic english, ect. They way we live our life and celebrate our faith everyday is enough for us.

STAA does not offer detailed lesson plans for most courses although they do have extensive notes to help you figure out how to plan the material.

They are extremely flexible in cirriculum choices.

You can choose to submit grades if you are looking for accountability but you do the grading and only submit work samples to support your grade.

They have a beautiful High School program (I have not gotten to it yet...we are only in 8th but I am so excited to use it)

I don't know about diplomas and accredidation. If you get a diploma you have given all the grades. But I do know they have gotten a ton of kids into college...some very good ones at that so they must be doing something right.

I think their website is STAA-homeschool.com but I could be off with the domain name. Just google search St Thomas Aquinas Academy -Homeschool and you will find them.

They advice and support they have given me over the years is a big reason why we are still homeschooling today.

Good Luck

Thank you! I was not familiar with this option at all, but can't wait to look into it.

You might look at St. Thomas Aquinas Academy. We have been enrolled with them since K (8 years now!) You can enroll your child, they will do an assessment and determine the best cirriculum to fit your style and needs. They are devoutly Catholic but they do not publish their own materials so they recommed the best of all that is out there.

Seton publishes most of their materials and in my experience it is very heavy on the Catholic content. I love the Catholic content in some subjects, but I don't necessisarily(sp?)think the kids need Catholic Math, Catholic spelling, Catholic english, ect. They way we live our life and celebrate our faith everyday is enough for us.

STAA does not offer detailed lesson plans for most courses although they do have extensive notes to help you figure out how to plan the material.

They are extremely flexible in cirriculum choices.

You can choose to submit grades if you are looking for accountability but you do the grading and only submit work samples to support your grade.

They have a beautiful High School program (I have not gotten to it yet...we are only in 8th but I am so excited to use it)

I don't know about diplomas and accredidation. If you get a diploma you have given all the grades. But I do know they have gotten a ton of kids into college...some very good ones at that so they must be doing something right.

I think their website is STAA-homeschool.com but I could be off with the domain name. Just google search St Thomas Aquinas Academy -Homeschool and you will find them.

They advice and support they have given me over the years is a big reason why we are still homeschooling today.

Good Luck