Menu

Do your children study spanish and latin in high school?

Can you share how? How many years for each? How many hours a day?

My children started latin in middle school. I would like them each to take through AP Latin.

They have not started spanish, but will start with something like Visual Link in 9th and 10th. Then, hopefully two semesters at community college. So, 4 credits total for spanish also.

Does anyone else try to do this?? Crazy or doable?

My children started latin in middle school. I would like them each to take through AP Latin.

They have not started spanish, but will start with something like Visual Link in 9th and 10th. Then, hopefully two semesters at community college. So, 4 credits total for spanish also.

Does anyone else try to do this?? Crazy or doable?

I think it's quite doable. My dd studies Latin through Lukeion, and will do so through the AP exam. She also takes French. We do both of them 5 days a week. Her language schedule looks like this:

Mondays - Latin homework and online quiz; French Skype with her tutor who lives in France.

Tuesday - Lukeion class; Breaking the French Barrier & OLI (Carnegie Mellon Open Learning Initiative)

Wednesday - Latin homework; Breaking the French Barrier & some type of reading in French

Thursday - Latin homework; Skype with French tutor

Friday - Turn in Latin homework, study for quiz; Breaking the French Barrier & OLI.

There should be room in your schedule for electives - we're just taking up elective credits with the 2nd language. So far, so good - but she wants to take Greek her junior and senior year, so I imagine something will have to give - probably French, since at this point she wants to be a Classics major.

DS does Latin through Lone Pine Classical School (second year), and Spanish through Oklahoma State University (finishing second year in the next couple weeks and starting third immediately after).

I currently schedule 90 minutes a day for each, which is an extremely comfortable amount of time -- not rushed, and not excessive.

Languages are not a particular strength for him... actually memorization in general isn't a particular strength! But it's definitely an area where hard work pays off.

We plan to continue both through AP (although he'll likely finish it up in a private high school).

How did you set this up? Sorry for the hijack, but we need this!

Julie

Hi Julie,

We used Verbal Planet to start - they have a large list of tutors living abroad & in the U.S. My dd wanted someone living in France, and picked a guy she thought she might like. VP offers the first lesson free, to see if you and the tutor are a good match.

After a week or two, our tutor contacted us and we began to work directly with him. It's been great! I pay him in Euros through Paypal, so that's easy. He is wonderful - retired, and therefore older, and he thinks my dd is just hilarious. :lol:

They've been skyping twice a week (roughly) for almost a year, and my daughter's French has improved dramatically, MUCH more so than using a curriculum alone. We travel to France fairly regularly, and in the months leading up to our trip her tutor will work on specific conversations she may have while in the country. In 2010 (before the tutor) dd could buy food on market days but could never understand what they said back to her; in 2011 she was able to carry on rudimentary conversations with quite a few people. I'm hoping by 2013, when we go back, she'll be at least partly fluent.

By the way, our tutor invited us to have lunch at his house when we were in France last September. We happened to be a short car drive from him at one point, and, as my daughter was dying to meet him, we were so thrilled he asked!

We used Verbal Planet to start - they have a large list of tutors living abroad & in the U.S.

Oh, wow, Elinor, thanks!!! I'll be looking carefully at their site. I'm assuming the price listed is per hour?

My dd wanted someone living in France, and picked a guy she thought she might like.

This made me go :scared:

He is wonderful - retired, and therefore older,

But then, okay, sure, good... not a dating service :)

Julie

But then, okay, sure, good... not a dating service :)

Julie

:lol: Didn't really realize how I sounded...:D

The prices are per session - my daughter's session usually lasts 45-50 minutes or so. The one thing I really like about our guy in particular (don't know about other tutors), is that if my daughter sleeps in accidentally, or misses for some other reason, the tutor doesn't charge us. Wish her violin teacher was the same! :tongue_smilie:

Piggybacking on this thread (hope you don't mind)

Is it possible (or crazy) to do 2 years of Latin, then 2 years of Spanish? My ds is able to take Latin (henle) at our classical umbrella, but a modern language will have to be taken at home.

Anyone done this?

I think the Latin would be excellent prep for the Spanish. Go for it!

What level of Latin experience would you need to pass an AP latin class? As far as college goes, other than hours and hopefully doing well in vocab., what other benefit would you consider for taking the AP?

My 6th grader is just in his 1st year of Latin. I'm not sure how long I want him to continue, I thought we'd just take for 2 more years and then jump into Spanish in high school...but I'm wondering if it'd benefit him to keep up with the Latin.

What level of Latin experience would you need to pass an AP latin class? As far as college goes, other than hours and hopefully doing well in vocab., what other benefit would you consider for taking the AP?

AP makes a good 5th year Latin. Lone Pine does two years of grammar (Latin 100 and Latin 200) and then a year of Prose and a year of Poetry (in either order - the 300 and 400 kids are in the same class with different requirements) and then AP Latin is the 5th year course.

As far as benefit... It's nice to have the validation that what you studied is on par with the AP syllabus - confirmation of grades and all that. I think it looks pretty impressive in general. Latin is challenging, and to follow through to the AP level is rather an accomplishment.

Piggybacking on this thread (hope you don't mind)

Is it possible (or crazy) to do 2 years of Latin, then 2 years of Spanish? My ds is able to take Latin (henle) at our classical umbrella, but a modern language will have to be taken at home.

Anyone done this?

My dd did 2 years of Latin with our state's virtual school. I would have liked for her to have continued with Latin III, but she begged to take Spanish instead. So she's in Spanish I now and will continue with Spanish II (also with the virtual school). Spanish is easy-peasy after Latin.