Menu

Practice SAT essay, Duke Tip 12yo, 7th grade

LNC

It is always important to challenge authorities. Agree or disagree:

It isn't always important to challenge authorities. Yes, it helps develop a point of view, but authorities often have more knowledge, and they have much to teach you.

Helen Keller was born as a healthy baby. When she was about two years old, she became ill. She lost her sight, hearing and speech. She had no sense of communicating. She didn't try to ignore her authorities, she had no choice.

Her parents hired a tutor names Anne Sullivan. She tried to teach Helen a way to communicate. She gave Helen a doll and spelled d-o-l-l into her hand. Helen loved the doll and thought that it was a game when Anne wrote into her hand. She copied the letters d-o-l-l back into her teacher's hand, but she didn't understand the meaning.

Helen often became frustrated because her teacher wouldn't let her have her way, unlike her parents. Anne decided to spend a little time away from Helen's parents, so she lived in a hut on their property. Anne tried to teach Helen words by writing into her hand. Helen played the copycat game. Anne tried so hard to get Helen to understand what the words stood for. She decided to teach Helen the word water. Anne took Helen out to the pump, and she put water on Helen's hand, then she spelled w-a-t-e-r in Helen's wet hand. Helen's face lit up. She finally understood. She learned a lot more words that day.

Anne taught Helen to read braille. As Helen grew older, she could read Braille in Greek, German, Latin and English. She also learned how to talk again. She wrote an autobiography called The Story of My Life.

I think Helen Keller is a great example of why we shouldn't always challenge our authorities. If Helen kept on getting her own way and not obeying, she never would have become the woman she became.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

She has never written a persuasive essay before. I think it is probably a 2 or 3 (1-6) for using only 1 illustration, weak vocabulary, and immature sentence structure and development. In normal sized print, she filled up front and back of the practice sheet. What do you think? I think it is a great effort though for her first try in 25 minutes!!

She took a practice writing test with the blue College board book yesterday, Duke tip is this morning. She only missed 2 writing questions on the entire writing portion! I was shocked. We had been focusing on practicing critical reading because that is a real strength, but she barely meets the cut off for a state award there, 510. Sometimes she is above, sometimes just under. But, she would have a great chance for an award in writing if her essay was a 4. She wants to apply the question to Helen Keller or ballet if possible. We'll see if that works this morning!!!

Edited by LNC

She took the SAT this morning. She didn't do as well on her official essay, so she likely got a 2... She really enjoyed the opportunity. She was getting nervous last week, and that made me sad I signed her up! But, once she saw how easy writing multiple choice was - that really encouraged her for her future ability to score well. :)