Menu

Insight! Having them correct their own work.

Just thought I'd pop in to share a significant insight I've had recently. My 10 yo fifth grader just started the Geometry level of RightStart math. At this level, the child is supposed to read the lesson themselves, do the work, and correct it themselves. That is the goal, at least.

Given this child's "math reluctance" I didn't see how this would work. So I've been very surprised to observe he LOVES working independently! The biggest surprise has been the result of having him correct his own work. When he finds he's made an error, he's quite upset, disappointed, and eager to figure out the problem. Unlike when I correct his work and then go over it with him, he actually senses the need to identify the problem and solve it. He felt defensive with my corrections, I think.

So yesterday I we were doing the review section of a Rod and Staff grammar chapter, and I could see he didn't "get it" at all and made a lot of errors. I asked him to correct his diagramming. He was very concerned and getting ready to cry or shut down. His response to my corrections, I am sure, would have been anger, and we'd have gotten nowhere because he'd be too angry at me to look at the real issue. We decided to put it away and review that section of the chapter tomorrow.